Tuesday, April 22, 2008

OH BABY!

I thought I would take a few minutes and write about the “joys of motherhood”. Well…I should actually be a little more specific and say the “joys of pregnancy” seeing as I haven’t actually had the cute little sucker yet. So here is the deal. I am now 39 ½ weeks pregnant which means I am approximately 8.94 months along (what…not that I’m really counting). Therefore as I’m sure you have tabulated this means that I am a mere 5 days away from the date of no return…the DUE DATE. Well…being this close to greeting our little boy has really made me start contemplating this journey known as pregnancy and so I thought I’d reflect a little and impart some of the things I have gained a better perspective on.

First let me say that pregnancy as a whole really hasn’t been that bad. At first I did experience the whole nauseous, vomiting and so emotional that I border line Brittany Spears in an “episode”, but fortunately that didn’t last too long and I then settled nicely into months 4-7. For me these were great months…months where I felt relatively normal—I was able to eat chicken and chocolate, I was able to talk with Mike without bursting into a hormonal rage and I once again had enough energy to do things other than come home at the end of work and sit for hours watching TV. In fact, I would say that these months were spectacular. Sometimes the only reminder I had of being pregnant was the fact that my waistline was (and still is) ever expanding. I would even say that during those blissful months pregnancy was, dare I say, FUN!

Well…unfortunately now that I have 8.94 months under my belt (literally) I have to be honest and say that it is NOT so fun anymore. Don’t get me wrong I love my little unborn boy and I love that I will soon get to meet him but seriously….the kid is getting huge and I personally believe he finds it hilarious to play new in-utero games such as, “I’m going to try and see if it’s possible to push mommy’s ribs out of place” or “let’s bounce on the bladder”. Sure, he probably thinks it’s cute and maybe I did too…at first. BUT now that abdominal room is extremely scarce the “cuteness” (if that’s what I can even call it) has worn off and I find that I am beginning to resort back to my early pregnancy days of emotional drain and intense discomfort (side note about that to my co-workers: Andrea & Rachel…I apologize). However, I know that the end is near (that’s right kids…I have even been having contractions. Not the “real” kind of course, but signs that things are coming. You know…the false labor stuff that’s just enough to make you extremely ornery and uncomfortable but not enough to actually make you go to the hospital), and I am very grateful and excited to become a Mom! In fact, I was speaking to my mother the other day and she pointed out that this year Mike and I will actually get join the ranks of parenthood this Mother’s and Father’s day. That one threw me for a little loop but I really am so excited! Although pregnancy has been a learning experience I am very grateful for it, I know what a blessing it is and I can’t wait to meet little Andrew Paul West.

9 comments:

kenders said...

I'm glad most of your pregnancy went so well! Sorry it's been so rough as of late, but hopefully soon it'll be all over.

Frances said...

You guys are so cute! I hope you don't have to be uncomfortable for too much longer!

Cameron and Shannon said...

You are much more positive than I was with my pregnancies. I really didn't like being pregnant but even worse for me was the post pregnancy weeks. You still feel pregnant but there is no more baby inside to make it worth it. I hope its not that way for you. Good luck with everything! I am so excited for you! You will be the best Mom!

Unknown said...

glad to know there is so much wonderfulness to look forward too :) hope that the next couple of days go by quickly and you will get to be in the wonderful stage again ;)

Alicia said...

Hang in there!!! Hopefully you won't have a 22 hour labor like I did. It is the weirdest thing having them out...for the first few days I still thought I felt Jonathan kick every once in a while. :)

Unknown said...

You're awesome! I'm mostly just excited to have all my organs in relatively the "natural" place. I'll be able to breathe and not have to feel like an asthmatic cow everytime I walk up stairs! Enough about that, though. Colby is so excited to buy Mike Smith's Chinese food so be sure to give us a call. And we're excited to meet Andrew.

Kristi said...

Em, you are so funny. You pretty much summed up what pregnancy is all about! I am so excited for you. But just a warning that recovery is always bliss (it was way hard for me) and your life is never ever going to be the same...but it is all so worth it. Motherhood is the best thing ever! Welcome to it!

Raeanna said...

Emily you are such a cute pregnant lady and I must say that you look ALL baby from your picture! You are adorable and you will be a wonderful mom!

Melissa said...

Hey Em--Its Melissa! You are so cute prego! You will love being mom and you'll be great. Pregnancy is quite the journey but it sure is worth it!