Friday, July 17, 2009

And here are some pictures

This isn't the best picture but it was meant to show a street market in downtown Saipan. They sell all kinds of tropical goods and crazy good smoothies!


These are some pictures of a little visit we took to a neighboring island called Managaha. It's really small and mainly just a place to go snorkeling and parasailing. I don't have the pictures from parasailing yet but it was great! It was something I have had on my bucket list since I was 16 years old. Oh...so FUN!








This is a view from our balcony. It shows the pool and the beach.


A typical Saipan evening.


Above are some pictures of what we have been doing so far.

Also...I have got a lot of questions asking how we came to be here and where the heck Saipan is so I will explain.

My dear dad is an amazingly brilliant professor of pysics and astronomy at BYU and he also is the editor of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific. (I am a proud daughter) Well, these being his credientials he got an email from a man who his the CEO of the Palms resort in Saipan (a phenominal tropical paradise in the northern mariana islands, near Guam and just southest of Japan--it is a US commonwealth, after we took it from the Japanese in WWII. It's known for being the most temperate climate in the world). This CEO needed someone to come and help hook up telescopes and give lectures at his resort and emailed my dad wanting to know if there was anyone who could do such a job. At first, my dad thought it was a junk email (he gets lots of those) but after talking with my mom decided to respond anyway...what did he have to lose, right?

Well, long story short, it turned out to be legit and my dad, mom and little siblings ended up spending the month of Feb. here to get things running. After they got back, the CEO wanted my dad to return again for the month of July and, my dad being the consderate man that he is, asked that instead of normal payment, he just fly us (his family) all out so we could see this place for ourselves. So...that's why we are here. It is really one of those too good to be true scenerios...seriously, we don't have to pay for food, lodging, transport, or anything like that! Our only task is to simply ENJOY! So, that is what we are trying to do ('trying'...actually, there is no trying involved, it is the easiest thing in the world to enjoy being here, in paradise, with great company!)

So that is how we got here in a nut shell. We feel very, very lucky and trust me we will not let this experience go to waste!!!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! It's beautiful and you all look like you're having fun and getting lots of sun!

Claudia said...

Oh Im super jealous! Saipan looks absolutely gorgeous!! I'm glad you're having tons of fun. Enjoy every minute! Im excited to see more pictures!

Andrea said...

That is awesome! How fun!! It looks so beautiful!

Unknown said...

what an awesome and fun experience!!!

Andrea Jolene said...

Ohhhhhh... (quickly moving Saipan in front of Hawaii and the Carribbean on Andrea's Destinations to Consider in the next 5 years list). Continue having an awesome time and what an saweet opportunity. I'd also like to mention my enjoyment of your swim suit. Ahem. I enjoy your swim suit.

Kristi said...

Wow, Emily, what an experience! How lucky! It looks absolutely BEAUTIFUL...now Saipan is on my list of places I want to go. Have fun...can't wait to see and hear more about your amazing trip!

Frances said...

looks absolutely amazing! I love it! How fun, how are you guys doing? I tried to call you Em when I was in Utah to see if I could stop by but I had the wrong number... we need to catch up!

Chelsey said...

Wow, that looks gorgeous. Thanks for explaining about where Saipan is...I'm no geography buff so I thought it was some place that everyone but me knew about. I love your swim suit, by the way.