Friday, September 24, 2010

Just Dance

Remember the casual high school dance...jr high dances...stake dances? You get all dolled up in your cutest top, most stylish jeans (does this make my butt look big?) bring a little extra makeup to school so that as soon as the bell rings you run to the bathroom and check out the goods. Add a little blush here and a mascara there, splash on some victoria secret lotion (Lovespell, ooo-la-la) then gather round your friends and wait in nervous anticipation as the dance gets ready to start. "OMG, do you, like, think that Henry cutesty-face will ask me to dance?"

"Heck yes, he was like TOTALLY staring at you during lunch,"

"Really? When?!?"

"You know, when you were eating pizza."

"OMG! How embarrassing, he saw me EATING!" SHREEK!

Then the moment arrives and the sweaty adolescent student body is herded into the gym to be met with low hanging white Christmas lights and rainbow crepe paper banners. The girls stay in crusted groups chatting and eyeing the guys with little fits of giggling while the macho guys stand around nodding heads with hands in pockets. Suddenly the music starts...beginning with a low base beat and picking up...picking up more. Now everyone is starting the head bob and even getting a little groovy to C+C Music Factory's classic hit, "Gonna Make You Sweat."

So...here is where my point arrives. Before you know it, kids are hopping, bobbing, grooving and moving. Some people get a little creative and start incorporating dance moves like the sprinkler or the shopping cart. My friends and I used to do this model walk across the dance floor... we were like so hip!

But the question comes...we may all think we look so good when we're strutting our stuff on the dance floor but what really constitutes good dancing? I mean we can't all be Julia Styles from Save the Last Dance. So when I was perusing some local news on the internet this morning I was thrilled to stumble upon an article about a new scientific breakthrough conducted by Northumbria University’s School of Life Sciences. Apparently a team of psychologists used advanced 3-D motion capture technology to analyze the movements of nineteen male dancers, creating computer generated ‘avatars’ so that all the dancers had identical features. Sounds interesting...or something...right? Well, then they asked a group of women to rate the attractiveness of each of the dancers based on their movements.

The results: Scientific evidence that can adequately assert what moves men around the world can throw down to attract women.

So...now we know...folks do you understand this? Now we have scientific evidence that will show us the best way to move and groove and yes, attract those cutesy guys and girly girls! Move over Austin Powers, John Travolta and Olivia Newton John...feast your eyes on the following. Proof...these are moves that groove!

Enjoy!


6 comments:

Mel and Angus said...

Oh man that is hilarious! I have a ton of memories flashing through my head now! How's the wee lass?

Unknown said...

that's funny! i love the way you tell a story and build up to the point! :)

Candi said...

hahahaha It was almost painful to read your blog because it was so true!!! I don't think I missed a dance in high school/middle school

Cindy said...

That was hilarious, I love it!!

Frances said...

Hello! I hope this finds you well, I have a small favor to ask... I am putting together a book of "memories" for Kyle's 30th birthday and was wondering if you and Mike could send me an email with a few of your favorite memories of Kyle. I know this is super short notice, and I don't have your email, but please send it to fnegbert (at) gmail (dot) com. I am trying to get it together by no later than this Wednesday. Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Michelle said...

Should I admit in such a public forum that I still use Love Spell? (it could be the same bottle from high school!)

This is hilarious!

I'm just emerging from my blog hiatus. Congrats on your beautiful Abigail!!!

Love you darling. Hope you are doing well.