Friday, June 26, 2009

The ramblings of a tired, bored mommy

So, Mike is out of town for the second weekend in a row. Last week he was gone from Wed-Sat on a young mens camp out in which he had a really great time and made lots of friends. (I hear they manly bonded by bashing each others accents and sport of choice...i.e. american football is not "real" football, you get what I mean) Anyway, that was great and I was happy for him but also extremely relieved to have him back. You see it was the first time in FOUR years we hadn't seen each other. YIKES!

Well...when he got home I was all excited and matronly and wore my cutest little apron and baked him all kinds of goodies and made him take a shower...and Andrew, my goodness, the boy clearly missed his ol' pop because he would not leave his side. No sir, once Mike was home it was go-away-mommy-ville and let's-have-fun-dad mode. The kid seriously got offended if, heaven forbid, I tried to hold him or I tried to feed him. As I'm sure you may have guessed this did NOT make my day. I mean, was I really so horrible? I let him eat fruit snacks, I let him run around the driveway, I even let him play in the mud, fully clothed AND when he was done I sprayed him off with water, much to his delight! I guess that just can't replace daddy though, daddy is certainly a one-of-a-kind, irreplaceable commodity! And joking aside, I was very happy Andrew was clingy to Mike...it shows how important fathers are, and it sure made us all feel happy!

But then, Mike hit me with a curve ball...he ended up having to leave AGAIN this week. As one of the trainers for the BYU mens soccer team, Mike was told they "needed" him to be there for some games as they traveled to friggin' sunny California. When Mike told me that he would be gone again from Wednesday night to Sunday morning, my first reaction was...cool, no biggy. BUT then he started talking about going to Disneyland and walking on the beach and, seriously, to my surprise I got all girly-motional. I began questioning if he would even miss us and asked why he wanted to leave me and blah, blah, blah, tear, sniff, blah.(I was being very irrational, another moment to look back on and cringe thinking of my own stupidity.)Thank heavens Mike, being a cute and rational man, just patted me on the head, gave me a cookie as he smacked my bum and sent me on my way. After that I felt much better. And now here I sit, it's been two days and I'm doin' good. So is Andrew...he loves me again.

Now, I must confirm that I still REALLY do miss my handsome brit, but it's okay and I know he is having a great time which he really deserves! But I am getting a bit bored and I really do miss having a conversation with an adult. So what do I turn to? Blogging. I really like to write, even if it's rambles...which this post really is. In fact, there really is no point to this...just killing time...so, um...what else can I say? OH! My brother has the swine flu (poor guy, but he is getting better), my sister is awesome because she babysat Andrew today for longer than expected because I had to go to work for a meeting... and, um, Andrew is getting heavy. I mean, really heavy! I took him to a playground this afternoon and picked him up to help him get on a slide...when I straddled him on my hip, I swear, my liver got pushed behind my spinal cord. The kid is just big and built sort of like a brick but with legs and arms, you know?!

Well, I guess that's all...sorry if I offended anyone by my lack of organization or witty anecdote. Oh, and P.S. can you believe Michael Jackson died? Crazy, will there ever be another celebrity to make flood pants and white sports socks with black penny loafers hip? I think not...he will be missed.

5 comments:

Cindy said...

I'm sorry you are tired and bored while Mike's off having fun!! That just means that while you are in Saipan, Mike will have to watch Andrew while we do some "girly things." Can you say Swedish Massage? For 45 bucks we can get a two hour massage!!!!! Love you!!!

Bryan and Natalie said...

Hi Emily! You may not remember me, but I saw your blog on Andrea Egbert's blog and thought I would see how you were doing. I have to say, your blogs are definately a joy to read! You're so funny!

Bryan and Natalie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bryan and Natalie said...

Oh! PS. I hope you don't mind me adding you to our blog list. Your blog just brings me delight!

Chelsey said...

I love your posts. That is funny about Andrew only wanting Mike when he got back in town. That really stinks though...mom's never get enough credit. Why is it the first word all kids say is "da da." Mike is so lucky to be out on the beach and at Disneyland. What a fun "work" trip.