Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A CLOSE SHAVE


Today I had an extremely close call...too close. After I got the unexpected phone call I had such a surge of pot-luck emotions that I literally cried (and I'm not the kind to normally cry over things like this) for about a 1/2 hour. After I explained to Mike what had happened (in between hiccups and bursts of sobs) he felt relief...and a little frustrated, too. As I said, it took me a little time, but I composed myself and got the necessary things taken care of. I got some needed help from my mother, went to the bank, wrote a letter, faxed some forms and my close shave should now be on the road to go-ville.

So...what was this all about?

Immigration.

Shudder, sick feeling in the pit of my stomach just writing that word!

Since Mike and I got married three years ago we have had our fare share of...we'll say 'exposure'...to the immigration process. Thankfully Mike has always been fastidious in his paper work, so although it is a pain and somewhat expensive, it hasn't been that bad.

Well, with the whole move to Scotland planned in two months, it's been my turn to experience it. Again, thankfully, we have tried to be fastidious about the required paperwork and we have started very early to ensure we don't run into any last minute problems. SO...about 6 weeks ago I sent in my paperwork applying for a Settlement VISA which should allow me to stay in the UK with my family for a number of years.

This sounds much more simple than it has actually been...but I will spare you the incredibly inane details. Suffice it to say that this Settlement Visa is my second attempt to get it right, their website it NOT (NOT, NOT) as "self- explanatory" for people in funky situations like ours, and it has cost us A LOT of time and MONEY! OH...and I do need to say that before I sent this one off, I called a supposed, "helpful" hotline, which costs $3 a minute, and I spoke to a woman with a very thick Indian accent who assured me (twice, in two separate phone calls) that I had filled out the correct VISA and included the correct information.

So...I sent it....

6 weeks later I get this phone call:

ME: Hello?
BRITISH WOMAN: Hello, this is "so-n-so" from the British Consulate General in LA. I have some questions about your VISA application.

ME:OK, great, we've been curious about that.
BRITISH WOMAN: I don't understand this...is your husband in the US or the UK?

ME: He's in the U.S. but he is a british citi...
BRITISH WOMAN (cutting me off): Emily, listen, stop...I know he is a citizen, you sent me that information, I need to know if he is in the UK.

ME: Uh..NO...I...
BRITISH WOMAN: Is he in the UK?

ME: NO! He is here in the US with me.
BRITISH WOMAN: SLIGHT PAUSE Why did you fill out a settlement visa?

ME: Because I tried the "other" one (I'll spare you the details of the "other one") and I spoke to someone who told me this was the only...
BRITISH WOMAN: You can't apply for this VISA if your husband isn't in the UK.

ME: That is exactly the opposite of what I was told...I called TWICE to confirm...
BRITISH WOMAN: Emily, stop, listen...it doesn't matter. Look, I would normally have denied this VISA right away and...if I had, then you wouldn't be able to reapply for a new one for two years. But I thought I should call you first, because your application was confusing.

Right then my emotions changed from severe annoyance at her constant usage of my name (especially when I was talking perfectly calm and being completely cooperative) to complete shock and immense gratitude. I also felt sick to my stomach...I still kind of do.


ME: I'm sorry it is confusing, I assure I would have not sent it to you if I didn't think it was in order.
BRITISH WOMAN: (Tone getting friendlier)I think I see where the confusion came. Look, if you can fax me X,Y,Z in the next hour then I can use what you sent and I'll get your Visa processed.

ME: Really? Thank you so much.
BRITISH WOMAN: It's ok...

She then proceeded to explain what I needed to do and re-emphasize certain laws and then she gave me the clincher, sending me into an emotional spin of realizing the bullet we just dodged:

BRITISH WOMAN: Oh...and could you fax a copy of your sons British Passport? I see here that he's still little and that's what actually made me decide to call you. I don't like to separate families.

I about started sobbing on the phone as the realization of what could have happened smacked me across the head like a ton of bricks.

After I got everything in order and faxed those precious forms, Mike and I proceeded to talk about how terribly wrong that could have gone. If she hadn't called, I could not live in Scotland for two years! That would mean Mike would have to got to school somewhere else. Not too bad, really, but we have SO MUCH invested in this already, not to mention that this school is exactly where Mike wanted to go...his number 1 choice. So then other options...I could live here, with my parents, while he went to school and I would have to take Andrew and travel back and forth under the restriction of my passport. (Only allows you to stay in three month increments).

Anyway, there are multiple other options, but you get the idea of how close we came to a big disaster! I'm not going to lie, my first feelings were pure frustration, I was feeling extremely loathsome to our "friends" across the pond and wondered why on earth we have been planning this incredibly stressful, practically unknown MOVE over there?! WHY?!

And then I felt the peace...I know that we were extremely blessed today. I know that Heavenly Father was watching out for our little family...we were simply too close to have made it without His help. Maybe now I'm supposed to say that after this "I know" this where Heavenly Father wants us to go. BUT...to be honest I can't say that, I don't know if that's how it works every time. However, I can tell you what I do know, and it's that He IS always there. He certainly was today. I feel sick thinking about what we would now be facing if she hadn't called, or if she would have automatically denied my Visa, like she normally would. OR what if I hadn't heard the phone ring, or my cell phone dropped the call like it often does?

Perhaps there is a 'greater' purpose for our move but I like to think that it's more a confirmation that we made a good decisions for our family, and that--as in all things--Heavenly Father was there to help us follow through after everything in our power still ended up short. There are still some hurdles to go through and I'm sure I haven't seen the last of our immigration woes but it's been a good lesson...a good reminder. I am feeling so very grateful today.

P.S. I am also so much more sympathetic to immigrants, legal or otherwise...I feel your pain!!! I never thought I would be here either! Keep going!! :-)

7 comments:

Kristi said...

oh man, I'm sorry that had to happen to you. It is so hard dealing with people on the phone...when everyone is telling you different things...ahhh! I didn't realize all you have and had to do and deal with...YUCK! Well...it will be worth it soon :) Good luck with it all.

Bryan and Natalie said...

Wow! Close call! It's like someone once said sometime, go 100% and do everything you can do and whatever you can no longer do, Heavenly Father will pick up where you left off. Or somthing like that. I'm not much of a quoter.

Andrea said...

I'm so happy to hear it all got worked out! That is such a blessing that she called you. We want to play with you guys again soon! I'll have to give you a call...

Kristy Carpenter said...

Oh wow! That totally stinks! But I'm glad it worked out in the end and that you'll be able to move with Mike and Andrew. Good luck with the rest of all you have to do!

HoorayforHansons said...

Oh Em! My belly got sick for you while reading this post! I know what it's like to be away from your husband and oh... I am so thankful for our Heavenly Father too. I am glad that he was their for your and your family.

Frances said...

I'm so glad to hear that everything is alright. What a crazy and confusing process... SO When do you leave?

Heidi and Ben Daniel said...

How stressful! I'm glad everything is working out.