Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Welcome!

Oh hi! Glad you could stop by and see our flat. Come on in, I'll give you the grand tour. (These photos are in no particular order)

This is our wee kitchen complete with turquoise walls!


This is Andrew's room. It's probably my favorite room in the flat.


This is one view of our bedroom.


And here is the other. We managed to cram a little desk in the corner to create a sort of quasi office for Mike to study. So far it's working great!


Here is our lovely bathroom. Oh! Don't worry we do have a shower and tub, it's just hiding behind the door.


Our living/dining room. Used to have a lot to be desired. However, we found that couch on a website called Gumtree (like craigslist) and bought it for £70 from a super cool girl named Claire and her boyfriend. Best thing about it is that it folds down into a bed! And, Claire and I got along so well as we emailed back and forth about the couch that we are now friends and plan to get together one of these days! Who knew you could make friends off of silly websites?!?


Here is our washer...


...and here is our dryer! HAH! That's right we hang our clothes to dry. Right now since the weather is rainy and snowy we hang them on dry racks within the flat, when the weather gets nice there is a clothes line out in the back garden. Sometimes I laugh so hard because I honestly feel like such a domestic wonder, drying my clothes without a dryer (haven forbid) but it really isn't that bad. A little annoying at times, but not too bad...surprisingly! (P.S. it is actually pretty rare to find flats equipped with dryers here...they like the fresh smell of the open air on their clothes, why not?!?!)


Alright, sure it's a little small...a little outdated, mmmm...maybe even a little ghetto but we love it and are grateful and happy to have it!

P.S. I don't think I mentioned how we even came to find this flat so for those who wish to read, I will explain because I actually think it's a good story.

Mike's dad came to check out the ward and see what areas were nice to live about three months before we actually arrived. While he was in Aberdeen, he spoke to the bishop and mentioned that Mike and I would be coming and were looking for a place to rent. Well...in the meantime, Mike and I had been pouring over websites trying to find something within our budget that was near enough to campus. (FYI: Aberdeen is a VERY expensive place to live, probably equivalent to the heart of San Francisco or even London which makes it a bit tricky on a grad student budget) Anyway, well, about a month before we had to leave I got an email from a FANTASTIC woman named Charla who explained that she and her family were moving back to Canada and they were looking for someone to rent out their flat, because they had been unable to sell it. She was a member of the ward and remembered hearing from Mike's dad that we were looking for a place. Well, they offered us a REALLY good deal on rent AND even offered to sell us their car and leave some furnishings (bed, crib, TV, dry racks, table, chairs, bean bag, plates, pots/pans etc). Well, this seemed like a great deal, the rent was a lot lower than we thought we were going to have to pay and we wouldn't need to worry about a lot of furnishings. The only issues were that it was small and a bit further from campus than we wanted. Well...after many talks and thinking and figuring we decided to go for it so here we are. The Schneider's (the family we now rent from)have been so helpful and I must say it is sooo great to have landlords that we trust and feel like we are friends with. Anyway, the distance hasn't been too bad and it is really quite nice because we live in the country rather than the city and the benefits from that far outweigh the fact that it's small. So we are happy here. So far it looks like we will be here for a year. We will see what happens after that, but at least for the next 11 months this is home!!!!

8 comments:

Andrea said...

WAHOO! Pictures of your place! I've been wondering what it all looked like. Thanks for sharing! It looks really nice and I still can't believe how awesome it is to have found it!

Um... I thought you guys were there for 3 years?? Only one?

Mike & Emily West said...

Glad you liked it! We are here (meaning Aberdeen for at least 2 years) but this flat may only be for 1 year...just depends on if our landlords want to try and sell it again. So...we shall see...hope you guys are well!

Unknown said...

I like the family/living room, actually. Nice and clean and deep at heart I'm a minimalist although with semi pack rat tendencies. I think it looks fabulous!

Info for you said...

I think the family room looks great!! Love the curtains too :) It's coming along nicely!!

Andrea Jolene said...

I am diggin those turquoise walls. Fo real. I want a flat! All I have is an apartment! ;)

Evan and Jeanette said...

So fun to 'see' your flat! I think you need to post some Andrew pictures now... I feel like he is probably already so much bigger!

Michelle said...

I love reading about your new adventure!! It looks absolutely darling there. I'm glad you found a great home with all the extras. That stuff is a pain to replace when you move from so far away, you know? Yay! :) i'm glad things are going well and you tried some haggis. ech.

Chelsey said...

Love the flat and loved the tour! I love how positive you are about everything and that you are enjoying your adventure in Scotland!