Sunday, November 23, 2008

Cute or...creepy?!

Andrew is learning and growing and getting more and more coordinated each day. For example, when he gets up on his hands and knees he can now rock back and forth with such gusto that his legs scoot forward. (I don't think crawling is too far away, hurray!) He can also reach for different people and throw tantrums when I take away a toy his likes. (Yep...that one's my "favorite"....ughhgh) Anyway, that being said...Andrew has also started doing a new "thing" which I believe involves superior motor function and cognition. Why? Because with this particular new talent, I believe that he either has to cleverly calculate it out in his little mischievous mind or else...I'm afraid he just might be a little...umm... creepy.

To explain what I'm talking about, I have to first tell you how this came about. Last week, Mike and I put Andrew down for bed at his usual time around 7:30. At about 9 Mike and I started getting ready for bed and, as usual, before we tucked ourselves in we went to check on Andrew. (I'm sure those of you with little kids can attest to the pure satisfaction and joy that comes when you look at your little sleeping baby at the end of a long day.) Anyway, Mike went in to the dark room first, with me at his heels, but instead of the usual sweet scene of little sleeping Andrew all snuggled in and "out like a light" we were met with a surprise. At first I heard Mike say, "What the... Em, look at him!" and I looked around his shoulders and saw it too.

Andrew wasn't asleep and without a peep, I saw that his chubby little hands were lifting the side bumper pad above his head as he peered at us through the little slats of the crib! Now, this may not seem like a big deal to some, I know, but it caught Mike and I off guard for a couple reasons. One was because, usually, if Andrew is awake...Andrew makes noise but as I mentioned, he was completely silent. Secondly, this act was entirely new...those bumper pads were tied down tight, I mean...tight, but he had somehow unraveled one end and was consciously moving it out of his way so that it would no longer obstruct his line of vision. Our first reaction was to get out of the the room as quickly as possible so as not to wake him up...but as soon as we were out, the "duh" factor kicked in and we remembered he was already awake. So we slowly looked back in and saw that Andrew had put the bumper pad back down. We decided to look a little closer and as soon as the door opened wider, allowing more light to enter, all of a sudden, Bop, up goes the bumper and our little "peeping tom" began to stare us down.

Well, we laughed and laughed because it was pretty funny...and pretty cute. However, at the same time, it was also slightly reminiscent of a creepy movie scene where the main character is in some dark, silent place and then, all of sudden, an unexpected horror pops out of nowhere and scares the tarnations out of you. Know what I'm talking about? Anyway, it's now been about a week and he does it all the time. The creepiness has worn off and I really do think it's cute...like a little "Hello, Mom!"

But I won't forget the first sighting...here are some pictures. You decide, cute or creepy?

Normal


Da, da, dumm..... (imagine scary violin music)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

A little creepy...pretty cute. Get some duct tape. It really depends on your day. Was he a little monster? If yes, then terrifying. If he's been an angel then-awwwwwwwww! We laughed! He's adorable. I'll email you those pictures of Andrew, Jackson and Sadie.

Andrea Jolene said...

Ha...uh...yeah a little creeper, but also cute. Considering he isn't really demon spawn and all of that :)

Unknown said...

ok, it's a bit creepy but funny at the same time. im amazed at how different Andrew looks, he's growing up so fast.

Kristy Carpenter said...

I think it's adorable!!! And I totally don't blame him for getting sick of looking at the same old bumper pad day in and day out. I would want to do all in my power to see the world beyond as well.