Friday, February 6, 2009

Tori, Tori, Ecuadory! (Plus a little for the Grandmas)

Hi! So, I felt the need to share my love for an item I have had in my possession now for oh...maybe 5 years or so. Has it really been that long?!? Sheesh! Anyway, I obtained said item whilst I traveled Ecuador as a "little" humanitarian clear back in 2004. There are many treasures I gained during my stay. Por exemplo, It helped me to establish a stronger sense of moral character, I learned how to be more charitable and selfless, I became good friends with some of the best people in the world (shout-out Quito chicas, "callate y besa me, tonto!, and I learned to LOVE deeper than I could of otherwise. However, of the monetary treasures, I still have a few things that are special such as: a small nativity set, a cool yellow Ecuador shirt (which I once wore in front of Mike during the world cup as England played Ecuador--BIG mistake), some crazy knitted slippers AND, the coolest, most amazing of them all--the item which has inspired me to write this tribute--the Tori Pants. (Umm..honestly I don't know if I am spelling it correctly, but oh well, continuing on...)

Tori pants, for those of you who don't know, are spectacular! They are spun out of wool or llama fur or Alpaca (I think) and come in all sorts of colors, patterns, shapes and sizes. As far as the style, think MC Hammer with a little clown pants. Yeah, how awesome is that?!? They are stylin'! AND practical, I wore these babies when I was pregnant with my baby and at nine months I still had room to spare! Oh yeah! AND I continue wearing them. You tell me how many of your regular ol' sweats or jeans can do that?!!

When I first arrived home from Ecuador I owned about 4 pairs. Unfortunately, since then, time did catch up to some and 3 have since met their maker. BUT, good news for me, I still have the coolest and most comfortable pair, and they don't appear to be wearing down anytime soon. No sir...these are resilient! They are rainbow with two big pockets on each leg and (as is typical of tori pant fashion) they have the oh-so-miraculous draw string at the waist (of course) as well as on the pant cuff at the bottom. RAD? How could it not be?

Tori pants are great and I am not the only who thought so. They were ever so popular amongst us volunteers--our equivalent of the Louis Vuitton handbag! Did the fine Ecudorian citizens wear them? Well, not really...but no matter, more for us! And I'm sure they thought we were the coolest walking around the streets of Quito as Albino as they come sporting the "native" clothing!

Anyway, so here is a picture of these fabulous pants. Aren't they great?! I sure think so... :-)


On to other news...It's been awhile since I have posted anything about Andrew or what's been goin' on around our house. So, for the sake the grandmas I decided to post some pictures. As far as what we've been doing...nothing too exciting. Mike is still busy as ever working for the MTC, putting in hours with the volleyball team and going to class. If her ever has spare time, he plays with me and Andrew (well, he always makes time for that) or else plays a little Fifa! I am busy with our little munchkin. He is growing so fast and I can't believe is already 9 months! He crawls everywhere and has even been attempting to stand on his own! YIKES! He has had a few bouts with a cold, but nothing very serious. He likes to play patty-cake and is great at clapping! He can definitely say 'Dada' and mean it...I think 'Momma' is there too, but it could be debated. Still likes to put EVERYTHING into his mouth, and his laugh sounds more and more like a chipmunk. Seriously so funny! I've been trying to catch it on video but have been unsuccessful so far. Here are some recent pictures. Enjoy!

Andrew having fun in his play pen!


SAD! He was not feeling well so I made him a little bed on the floor. He seriously sat there for about 45 minutes without moving. Proof of how bad he was feeling that day!




Tsk, tsk...got into some tissues while my back was turned.:-)

11 comments:

Kristi said...

cute little Andrew!...that IS amazing that he laid in that bed you made for 45 min! And, good of Mike to make time for his cute family with all of his "busy-ness"
I LOVE your tori pants! VERY CUTE!...too bad your other three are long gone. You should make a trip to Equador just to get some more of those bad boys! I still think that it was SO AMAZING that you went over there and did what you did! NEAT EXPERIENCE!

Becki R said...

Oh Tori pants! Here in Santiago every once in a while I see someone wearing them and it brings back so many memories! Didn´t Amber have like 30 something pair?! Glad you still keep Quito in your heart! :)

Cameron and Shannon said...

YEAH!!! I totally still wear my Tori pants all the time. In fact Cameron prefer I wear them all the time...it totally turns him on...like lingerie. Almost as much as a one piece sleeper :) I miss Ecuador and you! When are we getting together?

Kristy Carpenter said...

I totally remember those pants!! I'm glad to hear that you still have them! I used to have a pair of those pants and they were my favorite until I grew out of them (it was when I was younger and tori pants that end at mid-calf...not cool).
And Andrew is just adorable as always!! Hope he's feeling better

MattJulieGavin said...

oh my goodness em! those are probably the greatest pants EVER! i still have a few of mine too. in fact they are so awesome that my husband wishes he could fit into them...but he can't, they are all mine! oh...and i hope you don't mind me reading your blog. you and your family are adorable! i love ecuador, some of the best times.

Cindy said...

Emily...thanks for the Grandma pictures!!! The only bad part of our stay in Saipan is that we are so far away from you guys. PLEASE, give Andrew a big, big hug for me. Oh, and you can hug Mike and yourself too! I love you guys!!

Heather Glena said...

Hey Emily! Andrew is so cute!!!!!! I miss you guys! Anyway i got a blog too! I know...I am 13...but then I don't clutter Mom's Blog! Love you!

Michelle said...

i miss my tories so much! Sadly both of mine bit the dust. :-( They kept shrinking in length each time I washed them. Maybe I can swipe the ones I gave my mom when I got back....

Mango said...

Oh the clown pants....I thought for sure they would have died by now! But its good to know that marriage hasn't changed you and that you continue to sport those beauties!

I miss your face my little chewy peanut butter!

Jonathan and Laura said...

I'm so glad you showed a picture of the pants! And Andrew is pretty cute too :)

Amy said...

Andrew is such a cutie pie. I'm glad we got to see you a few weeks ago. email me so I can invite you to our blog. amythekidd@gmail.com and remind your mom too. Hopefully we can keep in touch better now, especially if you move.