Saturday, January 9, 2010

Scotland

We are here...we made it. We have actually been in the UK for a little over a week but we finally made it to our new "flat" in Aberdeen. I have taken loads of pictures....loads! I cannot post them yet...we can't figure it out with this british computer and our American wires...we will figure it out soon though...soon.

It is cold...I mean C-O-L-D! Didn't know I could be this cold all the time AND we have the heaters on. But they certainly don't work like the American version of heaters I am accustomed to...totally different. Anyway, we are all wearing fuzzy socks, sweats under "trousers" (pants--but don't say that here, it means underwear) and sweaters. Apparently the whole of the UK is having the worst reported winter in nearly 20 years! I guess normally if they do get snow, it wont last for more than a few days...not the case now. Its been about 2 weeks and is going strong, looks more like I am in the Swiss Alps rather than Aberdeen, Scotland. Our flat is small, but neat and we are happy. Happy to be fnally be here and to start getting settled.

We have already amde friends with some fantastic people. The Scnieders's--okay, so they are not here. But we took over their flat. This is actually a cools story... several months ago they found out we were going to be moving here. They are both Canadian and were planning to move back so they have been trying to sell their flat. THey almost did, but it never happened so they got hold of us to ask if we would like to rent. We DID! So they left a lot of stuff for us to use (bed, crib, toys, kitchen stuff, table, etc...HUGE lifesaver). We never actually got to meet them in person but we sure are grateful for them! The other people we have is a family who live in a nearby town called Cults. Camille, the mom, has been THE BEST! Today she brought by some curtains for us to use temoratily (to help keep the heat in) and she picked us up from the train station to get us here...I know she had other things to do but she was still kind enough to help! He husband helped us by bringing by a battert charger (our car is so cold, it needs a jump to get started) and their kids are super cute and super nice. I am excited to get to know them better.

Anyway, that is a bit of an update. There is a lot more to report. Hopefully I will be doing that soon wit pictures!

7 comments:

Andrea said...

I'm so glad to hear you guys made it safely and are settling into your new home! We miss you guys already! Please keep up the post on your grand adventure. :)

Katie said...

Yea! I'm so glad you guys are there safely! Hopefully you'll be able to warm up...good luck! I want pictures too!

Kara Lyn said...

This is so exciting that you are there!!! I am so excited for your new adventures.

Emily said...

What a fun adventure! I'm sorry it's so cold there. That's no good! Sounds like you've made some great friends, though, already.

Dave and Hejdi Swan said...

Wow! You guys are really in Scotland!! We are so happy to hear that you're starting to get settled. I can't wait to hear about all that will happen over there. How exciting! We love you guys :)

Kate and Jason said...

Emily..so glad you and your family made it there :) I miss seeing you here at the Health Dept. but I know you are having a great adventure. If it makes you feel better Utah is really cold too, and smoggy :(

Unknown said...

Im glad you guys are having a great time! Good to hear you got there safely. I want to see pictures of the new place :)