Sunday, January 17, 2010

Some pictures

Hi! I am working on a long post explaining all the updates of our lives here in Aberdeen, but I'm not done and I don't want to rush it. However we are finally able to post pictures (turns out we were just missing the right cord) so I decided to post a few showing our adventures of the week we spent in Northumberland with Mike's parents. Remember how I said we were snowed in? Well, you will see what I meant...but despite the crazy snow, Rothbury (the village they live in) is probably ones of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Take a look and see what I mean...

Here is little Andrew all piled in a snow bank. This was funny, Mike just tossed him in and he pretty much landed like this...although Mike added a little snow around his shoulders. Poor kid!


These are Mike's parents cars all covered in snow. It's funny because just the day before Mike had dug them out and cleared the drive...sigh...I helped him do it all over again.



This is Andrew showing how deep it is on level ground.


I believe it took Mike about an hour to clear this little walkway!


I LOVE this view! It's from my in-laws rear window. Behind their house is a beautiful field complete with a stone tower constructed in the 19th century for a wealthy man who wanted to have a special place to study the stars...well, why not build a tower?!


This is the sun peeking through the clouds in front of the house. Isn't it lovely?!


We went sledding one day and put Andrew in a make-shift sled of sorts. This is Mike dragging him in a plastic bin...it worked okay. Enough to keep Andrew happy and excited!


This is a view from the field looking back to my in-laws house.


More sledding! Believe it or not this is one of the main roads to get to quite a few houses. They just aren't equipped to deal with this kind of weather so it took weeks before the council (local gov.) came and plowed the roads. However, in the meantime, all the residents get allotted a certain amount of grit (i.e. salt and dirt) to use so that they can at least attempt to get out the drive. It would work accept that about half way through we ran out of grit and they didn't have any more...hence the fact we were stuck! (At least until the very nice stake president with a 4X4 came and gave us a lift to the train station...but that is a story I'll explain later)


On another day we all walked into town. This was picture of us at the top of the hill overlooking the little village.


This is a view overlooking the countryside. (Not quite sure why I look like I'm getting goosed...)


Here is tired, little Andrew after a long day of fun in the snow.


Goodbye! I'll be posting more soon!

7 comments:

Becki R said...

Wow Em! What an awesome adventure!! Good luck with everything!

Chelsey said...

I LOVE the pictures. It really does look C O L D! I can't believe how much snow they get and that it takes 2 weeks to come and plow the roads. It looks picture perfect there and like a lot of fun (especially sledding in a plastic bin..haha). I can't wait for more photos.

Andrea said...

So much snow! It looks like fun though! We miss you guys a bunch already. I hope all is well! You look so cute in the last picture. :)

Unknown said...

love the pictures! The view from your in-laws is really pretty!! I wish we had some snow here so things didnt look so brown and so we could play in it. keep the pics coming!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Meredith said...

We love you guys! Emily, how do you still look so gorgeous after being out in the snow all day?! Lucky girl.

Meredith said...

And, by the way, here's how you delete a comment:
1. Log in to your blog.
2. Go to dashboard.
3. Click edit posts.
4. Click comments on the right side of the specific post you want the comment deleted from.
5. Click the little trash can to delete the unwanted comment.

You can practice on this one. If it doesn't work I'll sure be embarrassed because this comment will be stuck!