Sunday, March 7, 2010

We are alive...

Sorry I've been off the radar...again...for a few weeks. Truth is it's been a VERY busy few weeks. A lot has been going on. My parents were just here for a week and they left on Wednesday. It was SOOOOOO good to have them here and the time really went much too fast!!! I don't have pictures of all that yet, but I will most likely be posting about that lil' adventure next. Anyway, before they came Mike's parents also came and stayed with us for a few days...again, so wonderful to have them here! Mike's Mum made us a dinner of pancakes because they were here on Shrove Tuesday (aka pancake day) which is celebrated in England in remembrance of Lent...so you don't eat things with leaven, hence the pancakes. Anyway, it was a delicious meal and they spoiled us! You know, I may be 27 and a parent but it is still nice to be spoiled!!! :-)

Anyway, this post is mainly just say we are not dead, in fact we are still very much alive and to proove it here are some pictures of what we have been up to since we made the move about 2 months ago. For those who like this sort of thing...I hope you enjoy!!!

These are a few pictures we took when we made our first visit into the city centre (that's right..."center" spelled c-e-n-t-r-e...when in Rome...) Anyway, this is the a nice view of the Brig O'Dee (I beleive). It is the bridge which runs over one of two main rivers that run throught the whole of Aberdeen. So nice!


HAH! This is a cool statue of the great WILLIAM WALLACE. Yes, that is Mike at his feet, humble before that great protector of Scotland. Saviour from the tryanical English (OK, mike I am joking!!! He just chewed me out!) I just thought it was fun...and yes, I made Mike pose for this.


There are two campus' (is it campi?!?)...anyway, there are two locations that house Mike's Uni. There is one in the city centre and the other one (the one Mike attends) is in a more residential area called Garthdee. I have no pictures of Mike's actual campus but if he attended the one in the City, this would be it. Pretty cool!


This is St. Nicholas' cathedral. Very old and very massive...when you walk on the grounds it feels like you are literally walking through history. I love it!


This is the graveyard at St. Nicholas Cathedral. When my parents came they actually found a headstone with possible family lineage...pretty amazing!


This is a small castle that is only about 5 minutes from our flat. It is called Drum and is home to the oldest tower in Scotland, an original gift from Robert the Bruce to a friend. Although much of the castle is newer, with additions being made in the 1600-1800's, the tower was erected in the end of the 1200's. CRAZY!


More pictures of Drum


One of the great things about these castles is that they have wonderful play areas for children on the grounds. At Drum they have this mini-midieval wood to the side of a nice playground. Here are Andrew and I venturing into the forest. (Can't you imagine how cool this would be when you were a kid...make beleive about being a knight and then THIS is your backdrop?!?)


More pictures of the woods at Drum


Andrew going down the slide at Drum
\

Mike and I outside of Drum


The following few pictures are when we spent and afternoon at the beach. Yes, it was a beach but don't be decieved...it was FREEZING cold outside, but we couldn't help ourselves. Here is Andrew and Mike chasing the waves.


Just some pictures of the beach itself. Doesn't it look like a Scottish beach...definitely not tropical!




Clam shells everywhere!


Grassy beach...


Andrew in the grass


Oh! Wonder why Andrew's pants look darker at the bottom?!? Well that is because as soon as we looked away for literally 3 seconds Andrew ran into one of the waves and fell down. Yes, my boy likes adventure! Needless to say this ended our little trip to the beach because, while I am sure it was exhilarating, that water comes from the North sea...and I didn't want Andrew to get hypothermia!


This next picture group is from a visit we took to a village called Stonehaven. This is probably my favourite village. It's like something you would imagine from a story book. It's hundreds of years old, nestles along the coast and scattered with old fishing huts and houses that still have thatched roofs! Here is a picture of the beach there. I just love the old, craggy rocks!


This is a picture of Dunottar castle which is in Stonehaven. It is like a dream. Nestled on a large rock gutting up from the sea, it was once one the most impenterable fortresses in the whole of Scotland. So much so that the crown jewels were even held here for a time. Now it is mostly ruins but one can imagine what it would have been like in it's hay day!



Walking closer to Dunnottar


These are some views from the top of the cliff:












Okay...last but not least here are some pictures of funny, crazy and ever growing Andrew. he despertely needed a haircut and Mike really didn't want me to but he FINALLY gave in and let me trim it. Here are some pictures of the event.

Here is Andrew in the tub, just before his shaggy mess was tamed.


All ready and sudded up!


And the after results! He looks so old...I can't beleive he is more little boy than baby these days!



7 comments:

Unknown said...

Andrew looks so grown up with his new hair cut! So cute though! I'm glad you guys are still alive and having a good time especially with the parents visiting :) Take Care!

Becki R said...

Beautiful pictures!! (Of Scotland and Andrew) Your little guy is growing up so it's good baby #2 is on the way! Looks like you are staying busy and enjoying your new culture in the city centre. hahaha

Michelle said...

GORGEOUS!!!!! thanks for sharing such picturesque beauty. I'm glad you're getting out and about. What an amazing place you live.

Andrea Jolene said...

Jealousy. That's what I have. Mucho. And your kid is still probably one of the cutest kids I've ever seen in my life. True! Heart-breaker for shore.

natabird said...

I want to come live in Scotland with you. Your pictures are beautiful. What a great ecperience it must be to see all those historical places. I'm glad you're having a good time.

Jonathan and Laura said...

I love the pictures, especially of Andrew! Thanks for sharing!

Chelsey said...

Wow, that place looks like it is out of a fairy tale. You really do ALWAYS have an adventues (haha Andrew and I never noticed the Honks logo before, but I'm so glad you've shared it with us:). Your Andrew really does look so much older with his hair cut. What a cutie. How are you feeling by the way? Sick?