Thursday, July 29, 2010

Oh, couple things I need to mention (sorry no pictures)

WOW! I've been doing a lot posting lately. Not a bad thing. Anyway, I just realized that there were a couple things I wanted to mention via bliggidy blog but haven't so here they are:

1-Andrew made the successful transition to big boy bed a little over a month ago! HURRAY! It wasn't difficult actually, he did real good job and LOVES it. Right now the crib acts as his punishment as well (which helps). If he gives me a hard time getting out of bed at night, all I have to say is, "Andrew, do you need to sleep in the baby crib tonight?" (Imagine being said with stern mommy eyes and voice riddled with unsympathetic mommy tones). That's all he needs (on a good day) and he will immediately jump back in bed and say, "NO, my big bed!" That's right, that's right, I give kisses, close the door and bedtime is done! Good thing he doesn't know how to open the door yet....

But well done Andrew!

2-Remember how I've mentioned before that here in jolly ol' Aberdeen they do NOT tell you the gender of your unborn child even if you want to know. They have a strict no-tell policy due to being sued, etc, etc in the past. Whu-ell...I have some little news. So my midwife (everyone gets midwives here...which I actually really like) thought that bump was measuring a wee bit small, her words, "Aye...you certainly have a wee bump," and so she sent me to the hospital to see a doctor to have another scan (ultrasound) just to be sure everything is growing well in there.

Off I go to the hospital, sit and wait until I get called back to see a lovely Hungarian doctor named Helga (seriously). Helga and I hit it off and she is super friendly. She laughs at my awkward jokes and pokes at my "wee" belly. She makes a couple jokes of her own and even sides with me in my belief that bump (BTY: bump= baby)is actually not that "wee". Turns out bump is measuring a little on the larger end of average BUT my belly just doesn't expand like most pending mothers. Instead, as Helga points out, I just seem to carry my feti more inside than out. What does this mean?!?! Well, I have a smaller looking bump BUT the child has actually made a nice home being abnormally squished between my kidney and lungs. ("Abnormally squished" means extra pressure on the kidneys, less lung expansion and little feet perma under ribs, to name a few.)Helga jokes and says, "You must get people telling you your bump is little...but it really can't be comfortable can it?" No, Helgs, (can I call you Helgs?) No it is not! I would much rather have larger belly and more, gasp, lung space, gasp...thank you!

Anyway, off I go on a tangent. So the point of this story is that after we determine that wee bump is doing great Helgs gets ready to turn of the ultrasound machine but then gets a sly smirk on her face. She look at me and asks if I know the gender. I take full advantage and reply that I don't but would sure like to. (Bat my eyes, smile nicely with a look that says, remember all our joking? He could be great friends Helgs, real great friends!)She picks up on it and says "Well, you know it's our policy not to tell. BUT..." (yes, she said but)"...I can say with much certainty that you are NOT having a boy!" She then showed me (quite vividly)why she felt so certain. Trust me, I could tell too! I thanked Helga profusely and as soon as I walked out of her office there sat Mike to whom I immediately bombarded with, "Your going to have a daughter!"

Poor fellow, wasn't expecting that but admits to being elated! We both secretly wanted a female!

So we are currently seeing PINK in our household and can't wait to meet her!

10 comments:

Ralph & Debbie said...

Congrats, i had seen the news on facebook but didnt like to mention it here until you did. Thats tons of fun.
I had my first four kids (natural) midwife (two in uk and two in usa) and my last two with doctors here in usa, much prefered midwifes also.
I only choose to know what number 5 kid was but we didnt tell anyone, just us two, but with number six we decided to go back to being a surprise for us two, we liked it that way, tho must admit love hearing what the grandbabies are going to be beforehand. lol.
Congrats again.

Evan and Jeanette said...

Ah! Congrats on the baby GIRL :) and also congrats for getting Andrew transitioned to the 'big boy bed'!

Unknown said...

Oh Yay!!Congrats! I can't wait to see what she looks like! I'm glad you guys were able to find out the gender. You're gonna have to shoot me a fb message with your address so i can send something cute :)

Mel and Angus said...

Super good news! Congratulations. Girls are so much more fun to dress than boys. Slap a t-shirt and a pair of jeans on a little boy and your pretty much got their whole wardrobe down. Girls, however . . . Ribbons, bows, lace, colors, frills, ruffles. You get the picture.

Becki R said...

YEAH! So excited for you Em! And special thanks go to Helga! Bless her little heart!

Andrea said...

I'm glad Andrew transitioned so well to a big bed!

CONGRATULATIONS on the girly! I'm so happy for you guys! Now both of our kids can marry eachother! haha

Would you please email me your address?? I have a little something to send your way

Paige said...

Wow. When your mother tells you it pays to be nice to people, it does help in unexpected ways. Yeah for girls!

Chelsey said...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! A girl! That is so exciting. I am so happy for you...what a fun story. I think I already like Helga!

Cait said...

Hi! Just a random browser, but came across your blog and saw the news about the baby girl and wanted to say congrats!!!

Katie said...

hey...I can't get your newer posts to show up...is it my computer? congratulations on little 'kate'! just kidding!