Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Why I likes this place....

Ask my little bro, ask any of my friends or family. When I was growing up I had this searingly strong desire to go out into the world (just like Mary Tyler Moore) and see things with my own eyes. However, unlike Mary Tyler Moore, I never had much a desire to work at some swanky city job, I always had my eyes set on something grander and more exotic (at least in my opinion). My dream consisted of green rolling hills, shaggy cows under a blanket of gray skies, old men smoking pipes in tartan pocket caps and bagpipes. Yes, I do like me-self some bagpipes! That's right,my heart has always longed to see beautiful, mysterious Scotland. Why? Don't really know to be honest, I've just always had this affinity for it. My crazy imagination, for some reason, has put Scotland as the front runner of my ideal for a land riddled with magic, history and mystery. In fact, I used to pour over picture books showing stunning scenes of ancient ruined castles, jovial folk, emerald fields and Robin Hood-like forests.

This being the case, I always thought I would make it over here someday but I NEVER in a MILLION YEARS, folks (yep, a MILLION YEARS) ever thought I would get a chance to live here. To LIVE in Scotland...and within the picturesque county of Aberdeen nonetheless (we have the sea and the highlands all in one). Needless to say it was a long held childhood dream come true when my cute hubby got the chance to come here. Yes, we snatched that pretty present right up and I still feel so excited about this whole opportunity!

Anyway, now that we have lived here for over 9 months (yep, going on a year now)I have learned a lot and experienced even more and my wee little heart has been in bliss almost the entire time! Now...have I become any less-enchanted with the place? Well, in some ways--yes, but not in the scenery or the people or the culture or those dang funny "heeland coos"! (Ahem, that would be Highland Cows, thanks...) Besides, the things I have become "less enchanted" with are boring day-to-day stuff that would bug me anywhere so I'm not worried (I'm talking about things like major pot holes in roads, the inability to find Cheetoes, lack of hamburger joints that kind of stuff) But I digress...the point I'm driving towards is that I have always held a fascination with Scotland and now that I live here, I still hold a fascination with Scotland. Something about it just makes me feel like I'm home.

Anyway, so I think that for kicks over the next few weeks I will post about things that make this place so great. I could do it all in one post, I'm sure, but who wants to read something 6 pages long? Anyway, plus my pregnancy self can't stand sitting at this confounded computer for the amount of time it would take me, so for today the first thing I am going to show you is one of my most favorite things: THE SCENERY!

Just check it out!

NOTE: The following pictures were taken by a good friend of ours, Christian Dean. Turns out he has quite the talent for photography and when I saw all these photos (many of them are of places we live near are have been to)I asked if I could put them on my blog. I mean, my dinky camera can't show the scenery like this and Christians photos just capture Scottish beauty perfectly so I had to share them. Thanks Christian!

































































I know...right?!?!

7 comments:

Candi said...

Scotland does look like something that you only see or hear about in fairytales!! Congratulations on having a little girl. I love following your blog, you're a great writer. Your family was actually talking about your writing abilities at Sunday dinner :)

You mentioned that Andrew was throwing really long fits. Have you thought about allergies? My mom said when my cousin was two she would throw horrible fits. They found out she was allergic to milk. She said that our neighbors little boy had the same problem.

Ralph & Debbie said...

The words from a certain song come to mind for you.
Some people wait a lifetime, for a moment like this!
Enjoy every second while your there.
And by the way, i would trade cheetoes and hamburgers for fish n chips and beef hula hoops any day!!!!!!!!! lol.

Mike & Emily West said...

Really, Debbie...fish and chips I can understand but beef Hula Hoops?!?! you certainly are a true English woman! LOL

Bryan and Natalie said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!! Don't you just wish you could live in the time when all those castles were actually being used, instead of just having to see them in ruins? You are so lucky.

Audra said...

Wow! I'm speachless really. Those photos are amazing. What an awesome place to be able to live. And yes, I think we may need to do a little match making in the future. You have such a cutie little boy!

Ralph & Debbie said...

That i am, And not forgetting Pie Mash. (you may have to ask your hubby what that is).

Jonathan and Laura said...

Wow those pictures are amazing! I would love to live there too. You are so lucky! Visiting may have to be good enough. How long are you guys planning on being in Scotland?