Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The Effects of a Bad Night Dream...

This last week Mike and I have had a few issues with coordinating our work schedules so that one of us is home with Andrew. Well, the solution for this Monday and Wednesday was that I would come into the office oober early and leave by 10 to meet Mike and Andrew at the MTC where I would then grab my cute little bundle of snot (serioulsy...poor kid has had a bad case of the nose runs lately) and Mike would go work for the rest of the day. It hasn't been bad at all. I like getting up in the wee hours of the morning, it suits me...I've always been more of a morning person. So last night, I went to bed early (10pm) and set my alarm to buzz at 6 am. Off to sleep I went and then I began to dream....

My entire recollection of last nights sleep involved this incredibly annoying dream where something kept happening to keep me from sleeping. First, my younger brother came into the room and woke me up to say that he needed me to make him dinner. I felt horrible that I forgetten to feed him and immediately went upstairs and whipped up a meal of bacon cheesburger with fries, at which point I too became very hungry and was annoyed that my brother ate all of it without offering me a bite. After that I made him a bed in some magical spare room and he went to sleep, after that I got back into bed then...suddenly Mike rolled over and told me that I needed to email Geico about our car insurance. If I didn't email them right away, they would burn our car! Well, I couldn't let that happen so while Mike went back to sleep I sent an email to Geico begging them not to burn our car.

Ahh...after that I laid back in bed. Then, only a few minutes later Andrew began crying and crying and crying and...OH this was real. So I really woke up, went in and made him feel better (as I mentioned before, the poor little boy had snot running down his face and he is getting the last of his teeth so, he just needed a little snuggle to help him on his way.)So, after about 15 real-life-minutes Andrew was ok and I went back to bed. It was 2 am. I chuckled to myself because I was feeling more exhausted than I should have and I realized it was because of my dream. Oh well, I thought round two of sleep would go better.

Then I began dreaming again and...it's like my mind just picked up where it left off. This time I dreamt that Andrew had miraculously learned how to crawl out of his crib and speak perfectly structured sentences and he came up to me and said, "Mom, you are selfish. You shouldn't be sleeping, you should be playing with me." I told him I was sorry and then I got up and began playing kick ball which then morphed into my alarm going off and Mike waking up to tell me that I was late for work and I needed to hurry. At this point I broke down and began crying and telling him it was too unfare and that I actually didn't get any sleep and I couldn't go into work today. Mike, suddenly wearing a NAZI uniform (I'm not kidding, he had a swastika on his right arm), said, "NO, go to work". So off I went.

After that I was suddenly awakened by my real alarm. I turned off and rolled over to process everything. I felt like I wanted to punch Mike...he was a NAZI and I never knew?!? Then I started feeling guilty for being a bad mother, sad that our car didn't actually burn down (it would be nice to get some insurance money for our old clunker)and really, really hungry.

Oh well, I got ready, went to work and now I am having a little break to type this all out. It's funny, I'm now sitting here feeling super exhausted when I got a decent 8.5 hours of sleep. I't funny how big of an impact your mind can have sometimes.

Hmmm...I think I am going to get a bacon-cheesburger for lunch.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Hahaha! Oh, I love reading your posts.
Dreams are crazy. It's strange what your mind thinks sometimes.

Evan and Jeanette said...

I know. You forgot to turn your brain off before you went to bed, silly. It happens to me all the time.

ps... susnen...that's your code :)

Draper Duo said...

You know it is a little ironic that you had such a crazy dream, when in just your last post you said "I can dream cant I?" - wish granted.

Cindy said...

Sounds like you need a nap! Call me, I'll give you a break....and maybe buy you a bacon burger and fries!!